Spring cleaning is over, but it’s never too late to go through a fall checklist of things to prepare before the winter! Here are some “Autumn Inside the Home – Maintenance Tips” to consider.
- Furnace: Change your furnace filter according to the guidelines of your particular furnace and have it checked if needed, by a professional.
- Smoke Alarms: Add smoke alarms to the rooms in your home if you don’t already have them. Change the batteries in the smoke alarms that you do have.
- Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Change your CO2 Detector batteries.
- Fire Extinguishers: Buy fire extinguishers and put them in good access areas in your home. Learn how to use them.
- Paint: Update walls with fresh paint.
- Clocks: Replace old batteries with new.
- Floors & Carpets: Refresh your floors & carpets with a thorough cleaning.
- Doggie Doors: Ensure doggie doors are fastened well and working properly. Make sure they’re insulated for the cold weather.
- Winter Tools: Check and/or fix, replace, or buy: shovels, ice chippers, ice scrapers & brushes for cars, salt for sidewalks.
- Chimneys: Get rid of creosote buildup and have a chimney sweep come and clean your pipe!
- Use Weather Strips: Check and repair any leaks in doors and windows that will allow the cold winter air or moisture inside.
- Washer & Dryer: Check your washer and dryer hoses and vents to ensure they’re clean and in good shape.
- Hot Water Heaters: Get rid of dirt and sediment in your water heater. Houselogic has a good article for instructions.